trip logs

Trip Log: Red Arrows and Retrieval

The final day of the trip presented uncertain weather at first, but by the time we had abluted, the sun had made its presence felt. The highlight of the day was to be watching the Red Arrows RAF display team perform overhead our anchored boat. Not just us, you understand, but there would be one or two other boats in attendance. This was to be followed by haul out, and highway home.
 We passed a leisurely morning, me fiddling with the boat, Alice playing with Molly the retriever, Aimee reading and Niki knitting. We found time to visit the “string shop” (though I was accompanied) and prepare Sausage Casserole in the thermal cooker (now a firm favourite with the kids), for consumption later.

By mid day, the skies were clear and the sun beat down; we ran down the estuary in T-shirts and shorts, amid a flotilla of boats. Seemingly every man and his dog was out in any vessel which could float. As we turned around Pendennis Head, we were greeted by the magnificent sight of three of the Pendennis Cup yachts at anchor, surrounded by hundreds of boats at anchor. We were to raft up to Lucy, and had some trouble spotting her, but eventually were spared the inconvenience of anchoring at close quarters with so many other boats.
 It had been conveniently arranged for an offshore breeze (what little the was), and we shared Lucy’s cockpit with Russell and the Rickards. A glass of wine or refrigerator chocolate cake in hand (depending on taste; I had both), we waited for the display to start.

I have watched the Red Arrows numerous times in the past, but normally from terra firma. The display today must have been impressive from the packed Gyllingvase Beach, but we were beneath the epicentre of the display and it was an incredible spectacle. Seemingly barely above the yacht masts, the little jets spun rings around each other with breathtaking precision.

All too soon, it was time to return to Mylor for haul out and we were treated to a last exhilarating sail up the Fal. I reflected on how well the boat was sailing; I had gained a couple of useful tweaks from Dennis’ Cape Cutter Mary Ann and the new solar panels had made us self-sufficient for battery charge, despite heavy gadget use. We had re-visited favourite locations in the area and made a voyage to the head of a new river.

We elected for a very late departure from Cornwall, saw almost no traffic at all and arrived safely home in the early hours of the morning.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s