They say discretion is the better part of valour. Well, with two wettish days and a crew mutiny (they’re a fair-weather lot!), I decided to knock the trip on the head. We awoke on Weds morning after a clear and beautiful night in Barn Pool to a windless morning with a lovely sunrise and then heavy rain. We whiled away some time below to see if it would ease. I looked at lots of weather forecasts trying to find one I liked, but could not find any giving us dry weather in the next couple of days. There was also a lot of wind to come apparently.
Consequently, we spent put into Mayflower marina and had a day in Plymouth. The following morning, I decided to knock things on the head and we sailed up the Tamar back to Saltash. It was interesting sailing past the navy ships in Devonport and admire the Tamar bridges as we sailed under them.
An easy recovery at half tide (quite a lot of current across the slipway) and a smooth packing up (aided ably by Aimee) was followed by an uneventful journey back up the motorway.
There will be other times, I kept telling myself…